Pub Insurance & Bar Insurance 

Pub or bar insurance includes cover for listed buildings, non-standard construction cover, wet & dry stock, fixtures & fittings, legal liabilities, and more.

Pub Insurance & Bar Insurance

Pub or bar insurance includes cover for listed buildings, non-standard construction cover, wet & dry stock, fixtures & fittings, legal liabilities, and more.

Pub Insurance – What Is Covered?

Pub insurance policies were developed to provide a simple one-stop-shop for publicans covering all their key insurable risks. Cover takes a menu driven approach depending on your individual requirements. 

If you own the freehold you can cover buildings, or for tenanted pubs you can protect your investment in terms of the improvements you have made, such as new kitchens, bathrooms and bar refits. Pub contents, fixtures and fittings and stock can be included against perils such as fire, flood and theft.

The other key area of cover is liability exposures such as employers liability for staff and public liability for injury to customers or members of the public.

Do I Need Pub Insurance?

Only two areas of cover are legally required when running a public house. Motor insurance should you own any motor vehicles and employers liability insurance.

Employers liability provides legal liability for defence costs and compensation payments following injury or illness to any staff in the course of their employment for which you could be held liable. 

Compare Pub Insurance Quotes

In the same way as your clientele all have different tastes and their favourite tipple, insurers too will have different appetite for risks. Some prefer food led pubs, others focus on wine bars providing live entertainment or on risks in a certain location such as country pubs – how do you know who to choose? 

At Insync we have access to the UK’s leading public house insurers. Our dedicated insurance advisor will review your specific requirements and compare pub insurance quotes from up to 10 companies, helping you find the right level of cover at the right price!

Need specialist Pub & Wine Bar Insurance advice?

Speak to one of our Pub & winebar insurance experts at a time that suits you...

or call us directly on

01200 309 516


  • Live Entertainment and children’s play area cover

  • Freehold or Leasehold tenancies

  • Food or drink led businesses

  • Listed Buildings, non-standard construction (including Thatched Pubs) or claims history specialistsInclude cover for sub-contractors

  • Business Contents (including specialist catering equipment), wet & dry stock and fixtures & fittings

  • Public Liability Insurance for off-site catering & events

  • Signage & glass

  • Goods in transit

  • Money including cash machines or fruit machines

  • Business Interruption (loss of profit)

  • Legal liabilities as a Pub / Bar owner (Public, Products & Employers Liability Insurance)

  • Legal Expenses and loss of licence cover

Why Insync for Pubs & Winebars

  • We compare prices and cover from leading pub and winebar insurers

  • Instant quotations - cover and policy documents in minutes

  • Flexible cover & monthly payments – just pay for the sections you need

  • Expert advice from liability insurance specialists

  • Personal – Digital servicing AND your own dedicated insurance professional

Pub Insurance Claims Example

Late one Saturday evening after closing, a log fell from the open fire and ignited the carpet. The landlord awoke to the sound of the smoke alarm, however to was too late to save the bar area itself which suffered severe fire and smoke damage.

Repairs totalled £45k, in addition a claim was made for loss of profits and expenses whilst the business got back on its feet.

How Much Does It Cost To Insure a Pub or Wine Bar?

Much like your customers, pubs come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Every single public house will represent slightly different risks and exposures.

Minimum premiums start from £250 (plus insurance premium tax), however the cost of your individual policy will be impacted by:

• Location of the pub (post-code)
• Where the premises are situated - city centre or rural
• Opening hours
• Volume of annual sales (turnover)
• Is live entertainment provided or doorman used
• Sums insured (contents, fixtures and fittings, stock etc.)
• Trading or experience in the licensed trade and previous claims history
• Sections of cover requested

How Much Public Liability Do I Need?

If you are contracting to a larger firm it is likely that they will request a limit of indemnity that you will need to purchase – often this matches their own level of cover.

In other circumstances you should look at the risk in terms of the type of contracts and work being undertaken. For example, if you are fitting lighting at a hospital, clearly the risk is much higher than performing the same task at a private home.

Generally most experts recommend a limit no less than £2m for any manual occupation.

What to do now...

Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd
9 Albany Park, Cabot Lane
Poole, Dorset BH17 7BX

t. 01200 309516
e. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd 2021 All rights reserved. Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority where our reference number is 766691. Our registered office is 7th Floor, Corn Exchange, 55 Mark Lane, London, EC3R 7NE and we are registered in England under company number 08810662. Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 | | Privacy Notice | Terms Of Business